Xda-Builders | Hidden Pixel Launcher settings reveal Google is testing higher iPhone-style navigation gestures for Android Q
When Google first launched gesture controls in Android Pie, many lovers felt Google’s implementation was half-baked. For instance, you possibly can solely fast change apps in a single route, and the swipe up gesture to disclose the current apps overview typically ends in the app drawer exhibiting as a substitute. Additional, the transition animation between duties would not really feel seamless, and the presence of the again button is hotly contested. Thankfully, we all know that Google is engaged on tweaks to navigation gesture controls in Android Q. We have already seen how Google could exchange the again button with a gesture and the way the transition animation for fast change could change, however we have now found extra tweaks to gesture controls due to hidden flags within the Pixel Launcher.
In distinction to the hidden preferences you possibly can entry by way of ADB to change the gestures within the first Android Q beta, the brand new gestures we found can solely be accessed by modifying the inventory Pixel Launcher APK to reveal its “Developer Choices.” XDA Senior Member paphonb, a developer who has labored on rootless Pixel Launcher ports, OnePlus Launcher mods, and the Lawnchair launcher app, modified the Pixel Launcher app to indicate these hidden flags. The next screenshots present the brand new “Developer Choices” menu in Pixel Launcher’s settings. Whenever you open this menu, you will have entry to a large number of latest settings to manage QuickStep, the identify of the gesture and up to date apps part in Android Pie and Android Q.
Whenever you allow these flags, the gesture habits in Android Q adjustments instantly. I examined these flags on my Google Pixel 2 XL working the Android Q beta utilizing the most recent Magisk Canary construct. The primary video embedded under reveals off the revamped gestures with these hidden Pixel Launcher flags. Here is a abstract of the adjustments:
- Swiping proper on the capsule now makes use of a extra seamless transition animation when altering duties.
- Swiping left on the navigation bar can now change to the duty you simply left. The transition animation here’s a work-in-progress.
- Swiping up on the capsule goes residence. A brand new animation has been made for this gesture.
- Swiping up and holding on the capsule reveals the current apps overview.
- Swiping up on the navigation bar whereas on the launcher now solely reveals the app drawer.
- Swiping down anyplace on the house web page now brings down the notification panel.
General, these adjustments make Android Q’s gestures extra just like the iPhone. The largest distinction is that the again button remains to be there.
One other change launched with these flags is that you’ve a for much longer time to “undo” unintended job dismissals within the current apps overview.
We’re uncertain if these new gestures, or those we found earlier, will kind the premise of Android Q’s revamped gesture controls. Clearly, Google is doing a whole lot of behind-the-scenes experiments with gestures, so I’m anticipating main adjustments to gestures to be revealed throughout Google I/O 2019. If you wish to strive these new gestures for your self, you possibly can comply with the quick information down under. Be warned that there are some bugs with these gestures of their present kind. For example, you will typically see invisible duties that may’t be tapped on.
Tips on how to allow Pixel Launcher’s hidden Developer Choices in Android Q
- Download this Magisk Module from AndroidFileHost. I made this module with permission from paphonb and examined it on my rooted Pixel 2 XL. All it does is exchange NexusLauncherRelease.apk in /product/priv-app.
- Open Magisk Supervisor.
- Faucet on the menu.
- Faucet on “Modules.”
- Faucet on the + icon.
- Discover and choose the Magisk Module you downloaded.
- After it installs, reboot your telephone.
- When you boot again up, open Pixel Launcher settings and it is best to see the Developer Choices menu.
For extra Android Q information, comply with our devoted tag. If we discover any extra hidden options, we’ll you should definitely let .